Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
checkering

John in NM
When I do it (rarely) I use my dad's old set of Dem-bart cutters. They are basically just handles with tiny sections of a file that can be swapped on the handle. Some are single V and some are 2x or 3x V's at various line per inch spacings. I have a few that have 2x V's but one is smooth and the other cuts, for working in a line without overcutting the line before that is the reference.

There was a company that made power checkering heads in Deming NM, not too far from where I live, but they went out of business maybe 10 years ago. It was undoubtably a sole proprietor who either retired or passed away, as the market is very small these days. They turn up on ebay often enough, but I don't do enough checkered work to justify the cost (usually $1k or so). Checkering by hand is more fun I think, but then I don't have to make $20 an hour doing it - probably $.50/hour the way I do it!

More often I stipple finish textured grips. I make one in particular where that is the traditional look. Its what you see on Anschutz target rifles if the term doesn't bring up a picture for you. I never could find acceptable tooling for that, so I made my own (and the first was a hand tool too :D )

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081