Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
I'd be interested to hear...

david weaver
...what you come up with when you get a chance to use these. I realize it may be a little while before you have the opportunity to prep and use them.

When I got mine, I was in one of those wild hair moods where I though "when these come in, if they're decent, I'll sell most of the rest of my chisels and finally settle on something in a proportion i like" :b

That's sort of a dumb thought, though I do plan to dump a bunch of stuff.

I tried working the bevel on the first one and then paring across cherry and the edge rolled over. Not a little, but a LOT. So, I honed some off and had increased the initial quite a lot (I didn't want to file the chisel and mar it) and realized that it was unhardened.

I checked around out of curiosity today as these appear to have been made in pretty large numbers with the round bolster, and I saw several other folks who mentioned having to reharden them (rather than just coddle them a little). It's a shame as they're a nice proportion for a handle gripper.

I also had a set of three parers from the same era (they said "chrome xxxxxx" something or other on the back in print and they worked quite well). Luck of the draw, I guess.

When I buy something I don't need and it ends up in my drawers (I'll never sell anything substandard), my first reaction is "well, great, this is what I get for buying stuff I don't need. Now I can either throw them away, sell them as defective and unhardened at a great loss or faff around with them and make them reasonably hard and then still probably sell them at a loss".

At least they harden fine in soy oil.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081