Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Not sure when the rough work...
Response To:
Re: American thievery ()

david weaver
..became mechanized for plane making. the WPINCA book that was offered years ago (if i'm remembering the right total) talked about Chapin or predecessor (again, terrible with changing names over time) seeking water power to do the rough work on planes in the late 1700s or early 1800s.

I've seen on Larry's blog that over time, he's come up with a lot of fixtures (on machining tools) to do various parts of the side escapement production. At the time his video came out, he did one by hand, though, and did a nice job. I hoped for a couple of years that he'd make a bench plane video, and I'm sure he was harassed by plenty of other people to make the same video. Not sure how he'd have showed it, but it wasn't that hard to figure out a workable solution with double iron planes in hand and a bunch of tools courtesy of Larry's sharing what he used with LN. It probably would've been a lot harder to figure out in a vacuum.

Point being, I'm not sure if there was a time in the last 200 years that many tools were made by a process that wasn't separated from "pure" use and skill of a maker in favor of speeding up production.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081