Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Chinese thievery .
Response To:
Chinese thievery . ()

John in NM
What is the good neighbor check?

If one is very concerned about the standards of living in China, one may always boycott Chinese made products. Boycotts do not raise the standard of living anywhere, however. Looking at the ancient cars in Cuba, I think one could argue that the effect is to lower the standard of living over the long term.

To be honest, I have more distaste for attempts to shame those who do not boycott than sympathy for the boycotting route itself. This is just my opinion, however, and we all know the old sayings about what opinions are like or how much they are worth.

The typically libertarian suggestion on subjects like this is to go ahead and purchase these products and count on the Chinese culture to self correct as their country enjoys a trade surplus with the rest of the world.

Looking at the changes in China over my lifetime, I think that is probably what is happening there. I'm sure there is still a long way for them to go, but they seem to be on the right path and more importantly, more willing to change than other quasi-former authoritarian countries.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081