Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Apologies for the Brain Dump!

david weaver
For anyone reading who just wants the Fine Woodworking "best overall", "best value" stuff, my apologies.

I'm not that guy and I can wear people out. Who else has a metallurgical microscope to check edges, and for a legitimate purpose (I was and still am selling straight razors - but not on here, so this isn't an ad, and I have none listed now - and natural japanese stones - used, so that people could get a properly graded stone for razors without paying a shyster - that's run its course, so I'm out of that).

What I do have is the experience with tools across types and eras (often multiples of each) to know what's what with all of them. I get into the weeds when it's more "what's your opinion of these". I have granular thoughts about stuff like "this chisel is super hard yet still easy to sharpen" (there's probably a compromise not being told - usually it's the hardness), and what's best in an idealistic way (japanese white steel chisels and vintage western/western european chisels). But I don't expect anyone to adopt my opinions, just stating what i've seen.

No secret that I'm more interested in tools (and guitars) than furniture.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081