Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: One Hand Trains the Brain to Control the Other

david weaver
I haven't done any fine sawing left handed, but I can't imagine that it would take long.

My initial desire to use left hand is really in laziness - if you're lazy, you want to continue to work at the lowest total effort level. Getting a stiff right arm, taking a break, and then doing it again over and over offends my laziness. Standing around doing nothing while waiting does, too - it just extends the time to get something done. Cross eye dominance may just be another reason, perhaps even better.

I wonder what was done historically - perhaps a sawyer working all day developed the stamina to cut without switching arms, it's not like it's that physically taxing. A carpenter or joiner, however, would seemingly have to get into situations where space considerations made it much more convenient to switch hands.

I used to target shoot, but lost interest in that long ago due to ..... laziness (shoot 1 hour, load and clean things and drive around for 5). I remember the cross eye dominance being a problem that vexed a lot of shooters who had no idea why they couldn't get a good fix on the target -especially if the target was moving (clays, etc).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081