Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Aluminum bar clamps *PIC*

Jack Guzman from Maine
A few days ago I posted asking about aluminum bar clamps to replace my pipe clamps for gluing up chair seats. I ordered some from Toolsforworkingwood and they were shipped quickly. I used them today for the first time and decided to post my results along with a brief explanation of my process for chair seats. this the stock I am using for the seat. It is 2" by 12" white pine. I cut the two pieces needed to length and ran them through a planer until they were flat on both sides and of equal thickness. Then I cut a finish edge on both pieces on the tablesaw. Next I determined the orientation of the pieces and put them together and marked the seam. I fold them over then and clamp them together to joint the edges. Now I apply glue to both edges and place them onto two of the clamps. I tighten these then place another clamp on the top side in the middle.
The bottom line is these clamps are a very good replacement for pipe clamps. They do the job nicely and as an added bonus the assembly will even stand on edge to store overnight. Something I could never manage with pipe clamps.---Jack

Messages In This Thread

Aluminum bar clamps *PIC*
Re: Aluminum bar clamps
Re: Aluminum bar clamps
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081