Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Drawing up and marking out *LINK*

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
The topic was raised elsewhere about the desirability of an Incra T-rule (the one with the million little holes to guide a 0.2 pencil - link below). I looked at this square and recalled that I've had one of these on my shelf for over 10 years, and that I had used it once or twice only ever. It looks a great idea, but in practice is too fiddly for me.

It occurred to me that perhaps I look at drawing differently to others, and so I thought that I would throw this out here for viewpoints ...

In practice, also, I do not use a scale to measure much (after drawing up to life scale, which acts as a story board). Usually, I transfer dimensions with a divider, and then run them off with a cutting gauge - which is why I have so many gauges (I'm sticking to that story! :) ).

Here is my current project, an apothecary chest - making a template for laying out the vertical and horizontal dividers. The apothecary chest is complicated by having a curved front ...

This is the curved front (but not the template, which was made with a trammel to achieve a true curve) ...

Each one of these points was marked with two dividers (no rulers) ...

I draw onto 6mm MDF sheets. It is cheapish, and it durable - It will take being scraped if needed (to remove marks), a divider can leave pin marks (to which to draw), and a cutting gauge will leave clean lines. Later, the templates may be stored for another day.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081