Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Usefulness of certain clamp types *PIC*

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
Background: I have a small shop; of late, I've been evaluating some of the too many things I've crammed into it, trying to get rid of anything that's not useful. At the moment, my attention is on the Klamp Korner. I've got a large selection of C-, F-, spring, and pipe clamps, with various specialty clamps thrown in, all of which clamp styles I use regularly (or they take up so little room that they're worth holding on to for the rare occasions I use them). But I'm wondering about whether to keep a couple of categories of clamps, and, if so, how many.

I know that I'm about to ask a heretical question here; generally, the idea is "there's no such a thing as too many clamps." If you're feeling faint on reading the previous paragraph, feel free to stop reading.

Handscrews: I have somehow acquired 20 handscrews (not counting a couple of all-wood examples and one all-metal one), ranging (using the Jorgensen numbering system) from No. 2/0 (7" long jaws) to No. 4 (16" long jaws), predominantly No. 1s, which seem the most common size in the yard sale market. Emotionally, I am reluctant to give these up; they just scream woodworker. But I don't find I use them that much.

So, please enable me (or not): where do you find them useful, and how many do you find useful to own? If you don't find them useful, please do say so.

"Universal" cabinet clamps:
I've somehow gathered five of these:

The idea is that the pivoting "foot" clamps against one side of the carcase when the screw is tightened, pulling it against the adjacent side. All five are of this style, useful as far as I know only for the outer corner of a carcase (there's another style, which turns the bar on its side, which could be used for intermediate shelves or suchlike). I believe they can be replaced in function, but with more flexibility, by F-, bar, or pipe clamps.

Does anyone own/has anyone owned this clamp style? If the answer is "yes," do/did you find them useful, or did you get rid of them?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081