Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Pictures of Various Honing Options

david weaver
(in response to someone's comment on another forum about "what should I get to go a step up from autosol)

First, two edges as calibrators. On these pictures, focus on the edge, and what you can see of the foil, and not the scratches. This is at 200x optical. All edges except for the diamond hone edge are bright and shiny without flaw to the naked eye.

Everything is given a light leather strop to make sure no trash is left on the edge. The diamond stone is stropped briskly, but it would take a minute or more of heavy stropping to remove the entire foil, so I stopped at about 20 seconds.

Kitayama 8k - a slightly nicer version of the king 8k, and slightly finer.
https://s8.postimg.org/5t2diyf6d/kitayama.jpg

Ezelap 600 - settled in - a new one would be a lot more brash - this is brash enough.
https://s8.postimg.org/x3noqv2np/ezelap.jpg

A large ohira suita (a nice stone - it's sort of a rumor that the japanese finish stones are super ultra fine - they're dependent on the hardness of the steel to achieve a really really fine edge that's beyond something the kitayama. Their abrasive isn't as strong as modern heavy concentration al-ox stones, which is why the wider range that's hardness dependent)
https://s8.postimg.org/o8mugcll1/ohira.jpg

Formax green compound - this is the one where we field comments often about its spurious nature. Used on balsa. It's 70% al-ox, and some part of 30 is chrome ox. It's an extremely useful wax stick. Soft, and applies easily if you don't apply it too heavily and you use a drop of mineral oil. It cuts almost as fast as a finish stone but leaves a fine edge. The speed eliminates impatience mistakes or mistakes of repetition on a soft surface (rounding over edges).
https://s8.postimg.org/d91n4rib9/formax.jpg

Hand american 0.5 chrome ox on balsa. This is a powder that's no longer available easily in the states from shaving suppliers. Hand and a shop called star shaving sold it *cheap*, like $9.99 for 125 grams of powder. Danger if you have a shirt that you like - it's a pigment. The line for this stuff in the razor community is that if you want to get the most out of it, you need to bring an already finished edge to it. I'm not sure what preceded the powder, but probably the suita or another similar stone. You can see it smudges what's there, but it would take a lot of repetition to really remove everything (this kind of thing would be a complete waste of time - that could perhaps be 2 minutes of swiping it around after an edge that already shaves hair).
ttps://s8.postimg.org/w1di8awp1/0.5_chrome_ox_powder.jpg

And the autosol. This is why I said it's a waste of time to go beyond autosol. This is done on smooth horse butt leather that's clean. I probably stropped it on bare leather afterward, and the dots on all of these edges (if they are there) is just tiny tiny oil droplets from my strop, which I scrape and oil from time to time to make sure it's not got contaminants, and that it's smooth. Dumbest thing in the world is bringing something to a strop and nicking the edge on it.
https://s8.postimg.org/uz3bpso6d/autosol.jpg

The forgiveness of the horse butt (which isn't much, but a little) makes the autosol cut more finely than it would, as does the lubricant with it (i believe it's 3 micron al-ox). The edge is wonderful, good enough for anything. The larger particle size than a micro compound makes it faster to use, which is also good. You have both a better chance of completing your sharpening job, and a better chance of eliminating errors of overrepetition.

Autosol on horse butt can have a tiny wire edge, as can the formax compound, and the others. A very light strop on a clean smooth strop is never a bad thing.

(I chose not to waste my time finishing a chisel with chrome ox after already finishing with something like a sigma power 13k, which is a 0.73 micron abrasive sized stone, and I chose not to do the same and follow with .09 micron iron oxide, though if you wanted to spend ten minutes, you could make a bevel look like a window pane.

Messages In This Thread

Pictures of Various Honing Options
Please translate for mere mortals
Re: Josko The King 8000
Godwin’s Law (Godwin’s Rule of Hitler Analogie
Gresham's law not to be confused with Grisham' law
Thin shavings are a means, not an end
Re: Thin shavings are a means, not an end
Re: Thin shavings are a means, not an end
The first stone
Re: The sentiment carries across all..
Depends on process
Slippery slope though
I can't...
The Woodcentral version of ...
Re: The Woodcentral version of ...
Guilty..
Re: Either it motivates you to look further..
Not useful
Perfectly accurate...
Mere mortal to mere mortal......
Re: Please translate for mere mortals
Utterly predictable
Re: BTW...
Re: Utterly predictable
Hardness of Alumina
Re: Hardness of Alumina
Re: Hardness of Alumina
Thoughts
Picture post-jnat sharpening *PIC*
The same edge on novaculite *PIC*
SGPS
One Last Go at Sharpening Materials
FINALLY
Re: SGPS
One more grind and bubbles gone...
Sintering
Re: Sintering
Re: SGPS
Re: SGPS—what it is
Re: SGPS—what it is
Not similar to 440C *LINK*
Linked review
follow up to that review..
Re: Not similar to 440C
Further thought on this..
Blue *LINK*
Development of Steels that Get Used for Blades
Re: Blue
iron oxide and cheap wax bar
Re: iron oxide and cheap wax bar
Re: iron oxide and cheap wax bar
420HC
Re: 420HC
Mid-priced polisher waterstone
Re: Mid-priced polisher waterstone
Found one...
Re: Found one...
Re: Found one...
Thank you.
Re: Thank you.
Thanks!
Snow white
Re: Thanks!
The original point of this..
Re: The original point of this..
Practical honing compounds
Re: Pictures of Various Honing Options
Re: Razors vs. Chisels
Razors are for shaving, not woodworking
Carbide retention
By the way..
Re: By the way..
Re: By the way..
O1 hardness
Re: O1 hardness
Hardness and cryo treatment
Re: Hardness and cryo treatment
Evolution of opinion
Re: Evolution of opinion
Re: to do like I do.. (!!)
Re: You're right..
Untempered O-1
Pfeil
Re: Pfeil
Epic Pfeil
Re: Carbide retention
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081