Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: I've really got to avoid discussions like this

Patrick Chase
Well, this discussion began as attempt to explain something that some fellow noted when he purchased a metallurgical 'scope and started pointing it at his chisels. If you can convince him to stop then your problems will be solved.

Seriously, I think you make some incorrect assumptions about what I do. I do the vast majority of my sharpening and honing using a fairly basic two-waterstone-and-leather setup. I also steer clear of truly difficult alloys, with the sole exception of my HAP40 chisels (the same ones you have). CTS-XHP/PM-V11 and Blue is about as exciting as I get other than that.

The only lapping film that I use on a semi-regular basis is Chromium Oxide, which is cheap enough that I don't worry about contaminating or damaging it, though as I said in another thread I think that those issues are fairly easy to avoid in any case. I do use diamond compounds and films for initial flattening/setup and much less regularly when I'm trying to wring out maximum sharpness for some reason (for example when I was photographing sections of Brian's AYC offcut a while back).

With that said I have a deep respect for the achievements of modern metallurgy and superabrasives, and I like to learn and experiment (and talk). That's all.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081