Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
by the way...

david weaver
I didn't notice the FK knife to be that bad on washita, other than a bit slow for the coarseness, which is to be expected. When I saw the little bubbles, which you can observe just a bit with a loupe, I thought maybe they were only on the surface and wouldn't be in the center of the sample (which means they never get to the edge).

In this case, it's not the washita, for two reasons (at least i'm concluding that).
1) they're not on the whole blade, and they're much worse in some spots than others
2) V11 - no problem. It likes the washita just fine, though all of the carbides will put the washita to sleep a little (it'll never actually stop cutting, though, it'll just cut the bleeding edge finer and finer.

This kind of sharpening requires some touch, working only the edge. The economy of that makes it fast. If one is to put something in a guide and start sharpening facets, the deal is off.

it is a variation of go slow to go fast. Something that exists in music (developing economy by learning good efficient clear technique at slow speed), manual labor (learning to stack hay bales, etc). This kind of subtlety is lost when referring to texts and assuming that more varied is more interesting and faster cutting means faster sharpening, because our eye is off the ball at that point - we're obsessed with making steel harder because the spec looks better, more alloyed because the wear profile looks smarter and then demanding faster stones because we want to sharpen a large area of them.

The washita is sort of the version of the drag car with no power steering and no extra weight vs. a 4000 pound car with a bunch of computer stuff in it. It'll probably be faster, but you have to learn to drive it. At least a washita won't kill you, though. (Substitute ark stones for washita, etc).

Out of curiosity, I'll see what the FK does terminally with the washita after stropping the wire edge off with bare leather. Often, the really high hardness steels take a finer edge off of the washita for obvious reasons - lack of particle penetration. Softer knives are a problem on the washita, more than harder, which is contrary to what you'd expect. The washita digs deep in a knife that's saw temper and you get a giant wire edge and deep grooves.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081