Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: New timber tech book on the way.

Sgian Dubh
Patrick, I think the main difference is that I wrote as a woodworker for other woodworkers, not as a wood scientist for woodworkers. For instance, there are scientific elements in Hoadley's book where I always felt there was knowledge either expected or assumed of the reader. I've tried to explain from where technical terms are derived, and why. I've used analogies and examples to help the general reader to follow principles.

Topics I cover aren't covered in other texts on the subject. For example I look at the history of trees, historical socio-political issues concerning trees and forests, balanoculture, ancient examples of deforestation and its effect on society, and so on. These are not necessarily core topics such as felling, conversion, calculating yield from round logs, drying or seasoning, insect and fungal interactions with trees, and current ecological/ deforestation subjects that I cover, but they do add to a sensitive woodworker's knowledge of their material.

One other point of difference is that my text incorporates a wider spread of measurement units than does Hoadley, i.e., I use in the book metric and Imperial measure, SI Units, Fahrenheit/ Centigrade, etc. I was mindful of the fact that most countries use measurement systems that aren't limited to Imperial (feet, inches, pounds), but they do use metric or SI, and I included conversions or equivalents so that readers from different countries would (hopefully) feel comfortable.

One last thing: my text is lightly academically referenced using Harvard Referencing. You can go to my source material in the references at the end of each chapter or in the bibliography, and read it for yourself if you choose to go and get that source material. Hope that helps. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081