Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Planing Plywood and dovetails
Response To:
Planing Plywood ()

TomD
I've planed tons of plywood as it is the stuff of boatbuilding. Face planing does give me flashbacks to when I planed up the surface of a teak table very early in my woodworking career. Sometimes the veneer will just detach, which is another good reason to use a breaker on that stuff. I have to say that when I pay for veneer faced solid ply I don't particularly like to have to do much finishing, that is the purpose of buying ply, but I am not immune to stains and all that, and some of my projects drag on where the whole project needs a bit of a refresh.

I also like cutting dovetails in ply. One might think that one wouldn't get a good bond, due to end grain. But you get a better bond in the butts, and a tolerable bond everywhere else. The thing is that it isn't so much that endgrain doesn't glue well, it is that loads on an endgrain joint can be higher than on a sidegrain joint since sidegrain splits. When one is making a box, the dovetails don't function as scarf joints, yielding 100% structural continuity, they are just dang strong for what most of our boxes need done, and that pretty much applies to dovetails in plywood boxes also.

Messages In This Thread

Planing Plywood
Re: Planing Plywood and dovetails
Re: Planing Plywood
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081