Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Rough to flat process

Gary B.
I recently got some free pallet wood. All Cherry slats, maybe 3.5" x 24". They are rough cut, about 1/2" to 5/8" thick.

Seeing as I don't have a planer or jointer of the plug in variety handy, this will give me a chance to improve my hand planing process.

I started with my LV Scrub plane, which is so great at the first steps. Then a #5 with a straight iron, corners knocked off. Then a #3. After working harder than I should have, I began to realize that I seemed to be missing a step.

I don't have any Stanley irons with a significant camber. But some time ago, I converted a $10 harbor freight hand plane into a scrub plane with an 8" radius. This is significantly larger than the LV's 3" radius. I gave that a try as a middle step.

What a difference! I was able to easily cut in half the strokes needed with the number 5. Interesting what a difference in the camber can do to the feel and ease of work. I'm down to about 10 minutes to S4S a board. But, I'll only do them as I need them for projects.

Messages In This Thread

Rough to flat process
Congrats...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081