Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Millenials and craftsmanship

North of the Border
Several years ago, I watched a PBS program and one of the views expressed was that if you are a collector of items in antique nature (toys, collectibles, etc.), the best time to sell them to recover your investment or to draw the best return is NOW, before the generation which collects such things dies completely.

I figure that most antique stuff including tools are in the hands of people who are between 50 and 85 and the segment of people is thinning by the day. In 25 to 30 years, I would guess 60 to 70% of current collectors who are main the source buyers of these old things are gone, leaving behind more antique possessions in the market for sale but fewer and fewer potential buyers. Antique shops and malls are also dwindling in number.

I know not one single person under 35 (other than my family) who are interested in paying a couple to several hundred dollars more for a handmade furniture than a mass produced piece. Has any one of you known personally someone who does furniture making for a living and is considered well-to-do, because of his woodworking career? I have known none all these years.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081