Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
OT: end of an era, domestic accessories version *PIC*

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
29 years ago, my bride bought a used hot tub. Our then-12-year-old son (now age 41, which is how I know how long ago we bought the tub) gave us permission to use his little red wagon as a moving dolly, and helped us move it to the truck (six-foot-wide hot tub on a four-foot-wide truck bed made for fun driving on the way home) and then to its destination. The tub was probably 15 or more years old when we bought it - the company that made it had disappeared, so I base my estimate of age on the color/style of the ceramic tile that wrapped around the top.

I had to rebuild the controls/circuitry almost immediately, the previous owner having made foolish decisions like using a relay the size of a flashcube* to control 15 amps, combined, of heater and motor. Since then, I've been through several iterations of controls, motors, pumps, etc.; and fixed leaks beyond counting. Earlier this week, though, it developed a leak in one of two locations, either of which would be hard to fix, but most likely the tubing to the jets. I infer this by the fact that the mechanical space was not showing any leaks, nor was the area under the filter-to-pump connection under the tub, but the water was going down dramatically quickly - six inches in a couple of hours.

We decided to buy a new tub, and, when I started taking the old tub apart to remove it, I realized it was a smart decision. This is more or less what the old tub looked like (imagine the saw cuts visible in the picture aren't there):

The shell was formed from one sheet of plastic, with a double wall on the sides. I hadn't realized that the company that made it filled the entire space between the inside and outside wall with foam:

You can see here how much fun it would have been to find and repair a leak in the tubing for the jets (the lower hole is the water tubing for the jets; the upper one the air feed to make the jets bubble):

We're looking forward to a fancy new hot tub, but part of me is a little sad to see the old one go. Granted, it's been a bit like a British car: fix it, enjoy it for a while, fix it again, repeat in perpetuum. But it's been a source of pride that I did keep it going.

There's work ahead: the new tub needs full support underneath, so I'll need to build some kind of pad for it; and, while it's dual-voltage and I could run it on 120 volts, 240 volts will be better (faster heating, for instance), so I'll need to change the existing circuit over to a larger, 240-volt circuit. But, boy howdy, have hot tubs changed in 40 years! And the new one comes with a warranty, something I'm not used to having.
-----------
*For those too young to know the word, cameras once came with wee one-use flashbulbs as shown below. The camera turned the cube each time you wound it, so you could get four shots before changing flashbulbs.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081