Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Hand Cranked Grinder Questions

wss
I'm looking to draw on your experiences with hand cranked grinders and will appreciate your feedback. I know I can buy a cheap electric unit at a box store for less than $100 but I like the versatility and freedom of the hand cranked approach.

I've looked around quite a bit for a hand cranked grinder and have seemed to settle on the Goodell Pratt #485 grinder as a robust grinder that appears to meet all the needs. Luther also made some interesting models but I don’t know how valuable some of those features would be. Most of the used ones I've handled are worn out.

I think a 3/4" or 1" arbor with up to an 8" wheel capacity along with a robust tool rest and maybe even a foot pedal option would be nice in a newly manufactured unit. I found two models on Amazon but the reviews would indicate that they're not lifetime type tools that are not up to the task.

I am curious to know what your favorite hand cranked grinder is and why?

If someone were to build a new unit modeled on the GP #485 (or your favorite model), what would you change and why? What price point would you be comfortable with?

R/
William

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081