Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Employment for the shooting board *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

It is time to install the glass in the display cabinet. Will this project never end?

Step 1 is to make a mile of the filler strip that will be bradded in with brass escutcheon pins to secure the glass. I’ll ask about planing it in another post. After mass producing these strips I trimmed a finish cut on one end with the table saw with a 40T 7 ½ blade.

Step 2 Each strip must be fit to its space. A shim is added under this strip to simulate the glass that will be added later. The strip is held in place and the finished length marked. From here there are lots of options. Running back and forth to the table saw to complete the fitting is not a convenient one. The strip is cut a bit long with this worn out miter box clamped in the vice. The miter box just provides a handy way to hold the strip for sawing. The spring clamp on the end of the saw is essential. Otherwise the saw would fall on the floor as the picture was taken.

Step 3 I like a bit of spring on parts like this one which forces the ends into where they butt. One could just saw the strip to finish length and hope for a perfect spring. I like to sneak up on the fit-to-length while feeling for a desirable spring- adjusting the length on the shooting board until it feels right. With everything at hand on the bench this process takes a minute or less.

Ideally it all ends well.

Step 4 With the strip in place the pilot holes for the pins are drilled with the optimum sized number drill. It must be easy to install the pins with the glass in place. I usually force them in with a C clamp rather than pounding with a hammer. Later the holes in the strip will be enlarged to achieve a snug friction fit of the pins. Now it is off to get a home improvement loan to pay for the glass. >(

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081