Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Pre-war vs. Post-war
Response To:
Re: Pre-war vs. Post-war ()

david weaver
Two more arrived last night. A pre-war #2 and another post-war A5.

Both were flat, unlike the other post-war A5 that was so out of flat that it couldn't effectively be used as a smoother. I always check flatness on the lap and then just work the bottom of a plane if there is mouth erosion, etc.

There is more care in making the 2. I was worried that the open handle would seem flimsy, but it's got a rod in it and is very strong (it did take a while to find a reasonable-priced pre-war plane with good metal, an original iron and an unbroken rosewood handle.

That said, I think they are functionally all the same. I like ward irons better than Sorby, who made the later Norris irons, but it doesn't matter that much. You can sharpen them all.

I'd like the A5s a little more if they were 2 1/4" wide instead of 2 1/8". Don't know why that is given the stanley 4 is 2, I think the adjustment on the stanley is just a little more accurate.

Cap iron works fine on both (as in, there's room on the 2 - but I'd make room by filing the top of the mouth inside if there wasn't room).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081