Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Duplicate To Windsor Chair Post *PIC*

Gary Smyth
Street find of this decent quality Windsor last Spring. Broken back. Old but not valuable as an example. Started in the summer and roughed out tapered ends on a new back and steamed it into shape. All left to do was insert the spindles and center the back piece. Did measuring and spacing but hit a snag. The spindles do not go through the bent wood back. The bentwood back of the original has spindle holes that are blind. I could not figure how to drill from the rounded underside about 5/16 to ½ inch at the proper angle. I set the chair aside.
Time to complete this project.
I’ve watched many videos and have little to know. The back is awkward to handle and clamp if off the chair. I figure a brad point bit in progressive diameters will work if I work from the underside. Much easier would be to work from the top, with the back in the chair sighting down from the top, making a through hole and then plugging the top hole after the spindle is seated. None of the spindle tops were wedged, only glued.
I like the paint deterioration so only the back will be painted, so showroom fit is preferred but not critical. This is to be a porch chair, undercover, but outdoors most of the time. So chair makers, restorers, anyone out there care to suggest a method to seat the spindles on a chair such as this?

Messages In This Thread

Duplicate To Windsor Chair Post *PIC*
Re: Duplicate To Windsor Chair Post
Re: Duplicate To Windsor Chair Post
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081