Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Continuation of the Cabinet build

Brian Holcombe
Sorry for taking my time on this update. My doors are now both attached, but still need a bit of tweaking and tuning along with catches on the right side. I'm strongly considering ditching the plan for handles and installing a keyed lock with a threaded escutcheon.

In the interim and before the dry winter arrives I've decided to get a move on with the drawers. These are lipped top and bottom (i'm a glutton for punishment I suppose).

These may be unnecessary but considering the amount of daily use this cabinet will get I've decided to build sacrificial drawer runners.

Prepping for dovetail layout

Initially laid out on a 1/7 (8 degrees~);

Later changed to 10 degrees

There is some practicality here, since my next shinogi chisel is very small, I decided to stick with this chisel, but also have thinner pins.

Testing for squareness at the drawer front, easier to do now than later. I found a little tiny bit of twist in the drawer front (they've been sitting for a few weeks), and a little bit the squareness of the drawer sides. After some tweaking there is no rocking, and so a greater chance that my drawers will fit without much work after assembly.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081