Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Memories as a Kid..

david weaver
When I was a kid, we either found stuff like a bookshelf at an auction, or my dad made one.

My dad had a circular saw, a jig saw, a 1/2 sheet sander and one of those old bulky low power black and decker homeowners drills........... and eventually a band saw (but he never used the band saw for furniture).

I remember everything he ever made was exactly the same. Pine (at least it was solid), wide boards bought from a local lumber yard. He'd cut the pieces, slab everything together and I guess they'd get glued at butt joints (and screwed and nailed).

Then he'd sand them and my mother would put stain on them and that'd be it.

As much as I can't bring myself to do something like that, I have to admit that everything that he's put together is still there. They even still have a wooden 2x12 bench sitting outside that he made over 30 years ago (though that got painted - white pine. ).

My parents went on to find and buy nice furniture that was made locally or mostly by hand somewhere, but a lot of the shelves that my dad made have been moved upstairs and they are all in good shape.

I guarantee we never checked any of them for square, we never used a clamp, etc. I never saw a clamp other than a C clamp and a pair of vise grips until I got into woodworking, but I'll bet in total, my dad has built more pieces of furniture than I have.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081