Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Cap iron question-need data

david weaver
I would imagine that it wouldn't do that well on pine, but I haven't worked anything softer than soft maple with it, and the soft maple I planed had extreme figure.

I can generally plane it fine with any plane I have (including single iron planes down to about 38 or 40 degrees) if I am willing to pay attention to sharpness and avoid doing anything other than using the utomst discretion in shaving thickness (I think this is a pain to do, though, if you have a lot of panels to smooth and they have moved a little bit before you've gotten to them.

What I marveled at setting the cap iron that close was that it was impossible to create tearout no matter what I did on a very cheap plane ($11 plus a $3 buck brothers replacement iron) and the finish was a little better than my 55 degree infill smoother (no surprise given the angle, though). Neither produces tearout, but the infill is single iron with a mouth in the neighborhood of office paper thickness, it's predictable that it won't create much shine compared to a bench plane.

Any general thoughts from wood to wood? I wouldn't set it tight for pine, because it's not necessary and there's no reason to add planing resistance. The only cherry I have that benefits that much is curly cherry, but in that case, there is a large benefit from what I've seen so far.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081