Messages Archive 2010

Subject:
Re: stay tuned.....
Response To:
stay tuned..... ()

Jim Dillon
Bill,
Another thought I had was that the tannic acid content of the wood might influence the long-term creep/strength properties of the CA. The tannic acid content, combined with moisture/humidity etc., might catalyze the breakdown of the pendant ester groups - the weak link in the CA polymer. Degradation of that functional group would likely alter the properties of the CA, especially in a load-bearing (static or dynamic) situation. So, CA may give "acceptable" long-term performance with some woods, but poor performance with others. Personally, while CA has many useful applications in woodworking, I would never use the stuff for building quality furniture that I wanted to last a "long" time.

As an aside, I wonder if there is any open-literature on the long-term properties of CA in woodworking? I can't recall seeing its use in comparative testing of woodworking adhesives in woodworking mags, but then the CA suppliers likely don't recommend it for use in woodworking joints intended for long-term use, so it is not tested.

Jim

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081