Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: I'm confused
Response To:
I'm confused ()

Barry Irby
David, the original post said the stock would lay flat and which edge do you start with?

I agree that I start by flattening a face. Then move to an edge.

I left out some of the logic, trying to shorten the question. Working with air dried lumber, some of it's been in a open barn for years, some piled in my driveway under tarps for years, I start by rummaging through the piles and picking the pieces. At this point I don't have much stuff below five inches wide. I move the pieces into a climate controlled room in my house, adjacent to my shop. My next step is to cut it to length, but about four inches too long if I have it.

The shortening of the pieces, if they are warped goes a long ways towards straightening and flattening. I know you understand that a crooked 8' piece cut in half has far less warp than the original piece. If the pieces are flat and straight, I leave them longer to eliminate snipe. If you plane a piece, snipe only occurs on the ends, so if you can cut four or five pieces out of a piece after planing, you only have to watch for snipe on the end pieces.

I have done all sorts of things on the jointer. Taper table legs. Leave a very slight hollow on the edges for a sprung joint. and more. I try to leave maximum thickness with both the jointer and planer to allow for flattening the panels, sometimes to the point of skip planing stock.

And, I have used other methods, such as the straight edge and TS and I have a track saw. Those things work, but I have a tiny shop and they introduce another tool that is immediately in the way. I tend to reserve them for pieces so large it's easier to apply the tool to the wood rather than the wood to the tool. For my next trick I want to see if I really can cut a glue line rip with my track saw.

So, the question was, which edge first, convex or concave?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081