Messages Archive

Subject:
Laying out drawer divider locations *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
How I build stuff is some combination of what I see professionals do (presumed to be quick and reliable) and reaction, and possibly overreaction, to problems I have had in the past.

Laying out divider locations must be done accurately or the drawer will not set flat, ie the dividers must define a geometric plane. I spare no effort to get these locations accurate and to avoid mistakes in the many dimensions involved.

In my case pieces drawers increment in size by a divider thickness. Hence, I can lay out the array of drawer dividers and drawer sizes with two dividers set to the top drawer height(smallest) and the divider thickness.

The process is as foolproof as I can invent. The case sides are clamped in registration and I walk the combination of dividers down each edge of the case sides making tiny indentations to locate divider locations, as shown in the picture. A straight edge connects the dots and a line is scribe across the case sides. This line locates the top of the divider and runner. On a larger case I often route a shallow grove down the case side with a pilot bit following the straight edge. This grove begins the process to make the divider dovetail socket and provides a place to inset the runner. On a small case I don't bother.

Having located where the divider dovetail sockets go it is on to my most favorite part of case construction, creating the dovetail sockets for the dividers. The process is, like a lot else, what I learned in the Headley shop.

Messages In This Thread

Laying out drawer divider locations *PIC*
Story sticks *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081