Messages Archive

Subject:
you're right...

David Weaver
..if I recall, the reasoning was something along the lines of:
* if it has wax, you can't universally use it between unlike coats
* it's not true that the durability or result of waxed shellac is any different than dewaxed

That may be the case. It's interesting that the industry who makes button and seedlac suggests that the abrasion resistance is a little better than dewaxed or other types, so they specify button lac for floors and musical instruments (something I wasn't aware of until lunch today - i knew of the floor part).

It reminds me of discussions about guitar tone, though. Maybe the difference is too slight to be material vs. other types of finish (solvent polyurethane sure does well on floors in my experience). As far as guitars go, two guys will argue about maple vs. rosewood stratocaster fingerboards and just about get to physical assault, and a third guy will say "I can't tell the difference between the two - they sound the same, and nothing like a les paul".

I haven't tried any of the waxed shellacs as a sealer or barrier. The canned version of dewax is available here cheap and easy (and I'm sure it would do fine french polishing if I didn't venture into buying buttons - it's locally cheaper by the volume).

I've seen the argument from others before, though, that they'd never touch a piece of nice furniture with pre-mixed shellac.

I just can't see what's wrong with any of it if you don't intentionally break known rules. It all seems to work fine.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081