Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: semi-tangent - french polish (acrylic?)
Response To:
semi-tangent ()

David Weaver
This post will probably be lost to time (or the prior post).

Before it is, the finish in the picture is buttonlac, french polished. I can't really tell the difference between it and lacquer at a glance except that it's a little bit more wavy on the polished surface than lacquer or acrylic sprayed...

Here is a picture of the neck that will go with the guitar after a first light go-around with french polish. It's indian rosewood. guitars wouldn't be made commercially this way, but the french polish method allows a hand builder a lot of luxuries that spraying doesn't, and takes the same time or less than spraying, leveling and buffing (probably about four hours of total finish time for a guitar and neck). The cost is excellent, too - about $6-8 in finish materials, and what it may lack in durability, it makes up for easily in extreme ease of repair (this last part is what's missing for current customers - difficult but less frequent repair is probably preferable to ease).

Speaking of, a question for bill - I was led to believe at some point (without reading further, I'll admit) that all of the water based finishes are very closely related, much more so than solvents, and that they're some type of acrylic enamel.

Being less attached to chemistry or tradition, I don't much care what they are as long as they work in a way that I can manage and look like I want them to look. Waterbase target with crosslinker (which they tell you not to use for instruments, but I do- I like the hardness) looks and works excellent for me, just as french polish does, and I've had fairly good luck with my own made true varnish, as long as I can find the sun somewhere so that it can dry.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081