Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: Nomenclatural Ambiguity
Response To:
Overhead fence. ()

William Duffield
The Overhead Fence is the same concept as the L-Fence I mentioned above. Ref. my post for a link to an explanatory article by FWW which shows several other valuable uses of it.

You can make your template (or even use the first shelf as the template) by whatever method you find most comfortable, but then the fence makes the remainder of the shelves quickly and accurately.

Since I have a tracksaw, I might use it to make the master, but since I would have to get out the double sided tape anyway, I would choose to use a straight board as a guide and reposition it a few times using the L-fence. Also, using the tracksaw would require clamping the master to the bench, making sure the cut line was hanging over the edge and the clamps didn't get in the way of the saw, for multiple cuts. I would not use the tracksaw without the track, even though it effectively works like a skilsaw in that configuration, for the same reasons as others have stated: I would not trust my accuracy and the repeatability of my cuts. There are some other advantages of a tracksaw over a skilsaw, but they are not worth discussing here, since I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

The most important thing about using a master template, whether you use it to guide your tablesaw with an L-fence or use it to guide your router and a pattern bit, is that you only need to do the precise layout once, avoiding the chance of making an incorrect measurement and ending up with shelves of different sizes.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081