Messages Archive

Subject:
Airtight Small Tins

Don Stephan
Stop Loss bag has been very successful at keeping varnish from gelling before it can all be used, but I use it mixed 50-50 with mineral spirits as a wiping varnish on turned wooded bowls and other small projects. I've been mixing and using small quantities of the wiping varnish from a quart paint can, but with so much air in the can the mix starts gelling within 3 days. I'd like to find small widemouth storage tins with an airtight lid, like a paint can lid, but haven't so far. Something like the very old wide mouth 4 or so ounce Johnson Paste Wax can with a paint can style lid, but after 10 years it's still half full of wax. I tried a hobby store and on on-line search, but small storage tins have thin screw-on lids that likely would be problematic - stuck threads, easily bent, . . .

Has anyone seen something that might work? I did consider marbles, which is a common solution, but how would I get the corner of the application rag into a few ounces of wiping varnish at the bottom of a can of marbles?

Thanks.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081