Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: that's where we disagree
Response To:
that's where we disagree ()

TomD
""There is way too much of the notion that Tom D professed when he jumped to the presumptuous conclusion that just because the antique drawer was not made to Krenov standards the cabinet maker was lacking in skill."
So:

- It is no more presumptuous to guess he was great, good, or a hack. None of us known. The idea of identifying the work done by various guilds through the dovetails they used is, however, one of long standing. The various degrees were often identified as carpenter dovetails, joiner dovetails, and cabinetmaker dovetails. I found these ideas in place with joiners in Belfast when I partied with them, but they may just have been reading the same magazines the rest of us did. Whatever the utility of these categories, they don't originate with Krenov or me.

As to weather one should judge work by drawers, perhaps not. Maybe we could carry this over to cars and not worry about the engines or drivetrains.

- I am not, however, talking about Krenov standards. The piece that you showed is the Ikea of it's day, except Ikea knows what it is doing, that guy was not in possession of the full range of choices. Today even routers make perfect looking joints so one has to have a passion for faking the funk to adopt bottom of the barrel standards. At either end of the spectrum there lies impractical cabinetmaking. Ignorance through to perfectionism.

"We need to get beyond judging furniture by its drawers."

Maybe we could carry this over to cars and not worry about the engines or drivetrains.

"No, the cabinet maker had the good sense to put his time and skill into where it would show."

How do you know? apparently anything on the inside of the case is invisible? But it isn't actually, you know full well it is there, and as a mater of impracticality will steadfastly ignore it, or invent fanciful justifications. Think of the effort required to ignore the obvious. Reminds me of my favorite kid's story: "There are no Such Things as Dragons". A family confronts the problem they have to deal with while living with a dragon that gets larger and larger until they stop ignoring it.

Let me tell you how this sorts out in the real world. People who are too whatever to bother with M&T joints seized on the biscuit joiners when they became generally available even though they clearly lacked some of the feature of M&T joints, and they are pretty good. But as soon as the Domino became available those who could shifted to that tool, because, you know, biscuits aren't that strong.

Same thing happened with bowl bottoms, as soon as decent alternatives to, say, plugging the bottom of the bowl became available most turners moved to them. In this case they were actually faster techniques, and gave turners new artistic freedom, and all around a better product.

I don't know if you have ever owned a good pair of shoes, but the leather soles are finished so they shine, even though they are destined to walk were other people temporarily park their dogs. People actually do notice details. More than that, they may like to have things they hadn't previously seen pointed out to them.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081