Messages Archive

Subject:
Determine, or restrict, freedoms?

Henry (Raleigh NC)
No real 'dog in this fight'... but I do want to respond with an aside, prompted by my recent personal experience.

You wrote "I personally don't want any of my freedoms to be determined by any government.... "

I understood your post, and believe I do understand what you mean here. In context you were clear; the sentence out of context is just what 'struck me.'

I would choose to narrow your word choice a bit, restating this as "I personally don't want any of my freedoms to be restricted by any government.... " Our American government, unlike many others around the world, (presumably) does ensure that you have very significant broad freedoms and rights.

I am definitely not trying to open political debate here - I am a newly minted American citizen, as of 6 days ago. So in the last month I have had both a citizenship interview, with the associated History and Civics test, and a Citizenship ceremony with oaths and pledges. In doing so I have been reminded of our rule of law, and the rights and responsibilities we have.

Simply put, our government (Constitution) has determined our freedoms; you don't want government to restrict them.

Henry

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081