Messages Archive

Subject:
The differences "white" vs "yellow" glue & TB III

Bill Tindall
Two years ago at IWF I had a long conversation with the folks at Franklin glue company. I was led (mislead) to believe the differences in white vs yellow were minor. This year at IWF I had occasion to discuss this topic with someone more willing to provide details. I have more technical details if someone is interested but for now I will summarize.

The main adhesive component of all this family of wood glue is poly(vinyl acetate). They differ by things added to alter the set time or the properties of the cured film.

White: White is a simple mixture of two polymers poly(vinyl acetate) and poly (vinyl alcohol). The cured glue is softened by heat or water and therefore joints are readily "reversible". A cured film can function as a hot melt adhesive or a joint disassembled by moderate heat. This glue has a slow initial tack. Joints are prone to creep if stressed.

Yellow: The yellow is a result of a dye that has been added. However, other stuff is also added that makes yellow glue tack quicker (good for panel assembly), creep less than white and be more water and heat resistant than white.

Titebond III has a filler added that slows the drying of the joint resulting in longer working time. Good for mortise and tenons and the like.

© 1998 - 2014 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081