ARTICLES & REVIEWS


Wooden Tote for a #113

by Mike Fitterling

My parents recently picked up a #113 for me. The plane is in decent shape, although it had a repair to the frog, which is well done and usable, and it was missing the tote. I asked around a bit if anyone had a spare tote off a broken plane, but when that didn’t materialize a fellow galoot said he had made one for his that worked out fine. So, yesterday I had a little time and made one for mine.

new tote blank ready to refine

I had some jatoba left from doing legs for a headboard that was the right width so I used that. Here it is fresh from the bandsaw.


start of the hand work

A Little Work with the Fret Saw


now for the chisel work

A Little Chisel Work

I chopped out a recess to accommodate the back of the frog casting, I also chucked up a small sanding drum on the drill press and hollowed out the underside to accommodate the iron adjusting wheel.


sanded, finished, installed

Final Touches

A bit of handsanding, a touch of oil, and some screws through the frog holes, and it is done. I thought about drilling a hole through the tote and inserting a dowel where the screws will pass to give some cross-grain strength to the attachment, but the fellow who had done his said he had no problem with screws into the end grain of the tote, so I let it be. If the tote fails, I can always go back and do the dowel trick.


old and new

New and Old

Here’s the plane with its new tote and a picture of the original tote behind it. It was a fun project and came out decent for an hour’s work.



. . . Mike Fitterling

back to articles index back to top

© 2007 by Mike Fitterling. All rights reserved.
No parts of this article may be reproduced in any form or by any means
without the written permission of the publisher and the author.